September 8, 2015
This letter is to inform you that we have students at our school with severe, life-threatening allergies to nuts (anaphylaxis).
Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic response to an allergen most often caused by food, insect stings, latex and medications. The most common food allergens are peanuts, tree nuts, fish, wheat, eggs, soy, milk, sesame seeds and sulphites. These allergic reactions can be so severe, that eating, or even inhaling trace amounts of the food allergen, can trigger a life-threatening reaction. Without immediate medical treatment, the child with the allergy could die within minutes.
Although the students are aware of their allergies and are well informed about which foods to avoid, as a school community we must all do our part to provide all of our students with a safe environment.
All staff, students and families are asked to follow these safety procedures:
• Do not bring/send products to school that contain or have come in contact with peanuts or other tree nuts
• Read food labels carefully before packing snacks and lunches
• Do not share food with others
• Wash hands frequently
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We truly appreciate your support as we ensure that all students are safe while at school. If you have any questions or if you would like more information on food allergies and/or literature about healthy, nutritional alternatives to peanuts and other nut products, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Tiffany Mountenay Jennifer Davey
Principal Vice Principal
Southview Public School
Limestone District School Board